Weston Hockey Club was founded at the Tara Co-Op, close to Weston airport in 1947. The club was originally called Weston Hockey and Lawn Tennis Club. Tennis was played during the summer up until the mid-1960s. In February 1951, Weston pavilion was opened by Fr. Bell and club chairman Mr. Michael Lynam. Weston had a thriving social scene with many dances taking place in the pavilion. At the 1960 Christmas party, Santa Claus arrived by helicopter to give presents to the member’s children.
On the hockey front, Weston won the Minor cup in the late 1940s and the success carried on into the 1950s. In 1957, Weston won the Intermediate cup and the Intermediate B section, losing the Intermediate League play-off against the Air Corps in extra time. They also reached the semi-finals of the Irish Junior Cup in Leinster. In 1958, Weston again won the Intermediate Cup beating Lorraine 1 – 0 in the final. Weston’s cause was not helped when Michael Lynam retired with a knee injury after ten minutes and as substitutes were not permitted at the time Weston had to play on with ten men. The game went to extra time and Brenda O’Hare scored the winner in the final few minutes. Click to read more Club History
We look back at our 50th year celebrations. At the time, Tom Harris was chairperson of the club and put together a wonderful booklet commemorating all the members, past and present, of Weston hockey club. Enjoy! Fifty years of Weston HC